Monday 29 September 2014

With the Summer heat kicking in ...

... and with Brisbane having a predicted temperature of 33° in two days time, a summer dress will definitely be the flavour of the day! So I thought I would sneak in a little summer dress making.


And I do love spring and summer sewing the best, so had plans on kick-starting the season with a dress. Well, actually I need to backtrack just a tad. My original plan (we all know about plans and sewing) was to participate in the PatternReview One Pattern, Many Looks challenge. Grabbed the pattern from the stash, set up the Pinterest inspiration board (and many hours just disappeared drooling) and then came to a bit of a stop! Well, the stop was just from work, winter lurgies and life in general, but the poor sewing cave went into hibernation. So it is now time to blow of the dust and get those dress plans back into action.

The pattern is an oldie (like me) but a goodie! McCall's 8788 ...

... a simple, basic semi-fitted dress with front and back darts! Nothing fancy, but it is a closest go-to for ease of wear and the perfect style to add variety to my summer wardrobe. Spotlight had a cocoa-coloured monoprint stretch cotton sateen that grabbed me, so it became a dress! The fabric ended up being a bit of a problem - it was printed off grain for about a 20cm strip along one selvedge. Just looked like it was heading south and taking a dip. Such a waste of fabric ...

Anyway, I love how it turned out and I love the ease of sewing a simple dress. Followed the instructions fairly loosely (it is a simple dress style after all), swapped the zipper for an invisible zipper ...


... added a bottom band for no particular reason, but I just felt as if the print was going forever on me and needed a break ...

... and added a contrast binding strip to give the illusion that this band was meant to be ...

And lined the dress purely for wearing ease ... oh, and I had to factor in all the usual changes ~ full bust, rounded shoulders, narrow shoulders, sway back etc, etc, etc...

And there you have it, the first dress of summer. Ready for work next week ... yes, I am on school holidays at the moment. YEAH!!!!! I will be making more of these, I can't help myself - super simple, easy to wear and versatile for work, casual or hitting the town! 

So tell me, what is your favourite dress pattern for summer!

43 comments:

  1. Fabulous dress. Love how you have incorporated that bottom band. Really looks great. Isn't it amazing how we have gone from freezing to hot in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, obviously a sign of the coming summer heat ~ though I'm not such a fan of overly hot humid days ... J

      Delete
  2. How did you put in the binding strip? Over the fabric? I ask as I may just be a thief in the night and steal this idea. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just made up my own binding from black, basted it to the dress, then attached it to the folded bottom band in one ~ really much, much easier than I thought.

      Delete
  3. Love this dress and the design elements you included in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faye, it has been awhile since I was behind the machine, but it all came back to me in an instant...luckily ... J

      Delete
  4. The bottom band makes the dress - gives the garment dimension and interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lovely dress and i love the band. It's good to see you back on blogland. Enjoy the rest of your holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great way to kick off your summer sewing. I'm still searching for my perfect summer dress pattern but I'm having fun looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! The band adds just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really pretty dress - as everyone has said the band is such a great touch & really adds a great pop !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, welcome back!!! And what a perfect come back piece. You look simply sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's really lovely! I agree - a simple sheath dress is about the best thing there is, both to sew and to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy cow how is it so hot there?! You deserve all the pretty sundresses in the world to deal with that crap (haha stick a negative in front of that number and I'd be happy)! And you definitely got a pretty sundress for it, this is just lovely. I really like how you handled the contrast piping and the print turned on it's side at the bottom. Nice touches!

    I think I'm in love with the comfort and ease of Colette's Laurel, which is similar to your dress here. My recent version of it was like wearing a comfy nightie, so it's a win for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely dress - the bottom band really does make it look special - and you are right, it would have been too much in one length on your lovely height. I find a lot of Spotlight's stretch sateens are off grain - sometimes not only along the selvedge.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Judith, I love your new dress.Just perfect, the band was such a good idea. Love the fabric.
    SO funny...you are going into summer, and we are heading into fall. I like summer sewing best too...but this summer has not been a good sewing summer.. Hopefully, I will get to do some winter sewing.ha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous dress that fits you beautifully and looks very comfortable. Great idea adding that band and piping at the bottom - it's a very nice design detail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely dress and I like what you did with the bottom of the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Judith, nice to see you again in blogland. That is a beautiful summer dress, with perfect fit, and well done to be sewing summer already. You have inspired me to make a start - but don't have a fave dress pattern yet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect dress and the band with contrast fabric, is the just-right finish it needed. Love your last photo collage showing a couple of different ways of wearing it.... and that's why I did not write perfect 'summer' dress, as with the cute jackets, not only could this be a 'perfect summer dress', but a perfect 'all-season' dress! The fit looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely print and a great fit. This is really pretty and flattering. I love your denim shirt too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your dress fits like a dream and so nicely styled. Outstanding all the way around!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Judith, this is a cute dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely dress and looks really good on you. I love the way you added those little extras to make your dress unique. I love a dress like this for summer . I find I wear this type of dress on a really hot day even as a retired person. So much cooler than shorts and a Tee.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wish I was sewing for summer and not fall, Your dress is lovely, with a perfect fit and the band makes it really unique and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, very beautiful dress. I love your fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are so organized to have your summer sewing started in advance of hot weather. Its a lovely dress, and looks beautifully comfortable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The perfect summer dress. The fit is spot on and the hem band is a lovely design feature.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your dress is beautiful and I really like the hem band feature that you added. Glad to see that you are blogging again. It is Fall here in New England, so the temperatures are growing cooler. I've managed to wear sandals AND a long sleeve top on a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A summery dress, perfect for the weather you are having!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely dress and I especially like the hem band.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Judith, Happy New Year. I hope all is well for you. Sofie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Such a beautiful dress! Love the contrast binding strip! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm appreciate your writing skill. Please keep on working hard. Thanks

    ReplyDelete